Construction and Clean Up!

I went down to Urbanna the other day to wrap up the construction part of the project. There are still a few bits and pieces to finish but we should be good to go sailing.

I had to leave in a hurry last time I was there as my friend who was helping had to be back in town for a family commitment so the place was a bit of a disaster area. the mini 2.5 gallon Shop Vac that I bought has been in valuable for clean up and whilst I cannot keep it on the boat due to storage issues its easy to pack into the car for transport.IMG_3576

An inspection of the shower pan showed a few voids in the ‘glass that need to be filled plus two of the corners needed building up. Also I needed to smoth out the edges for cosmetic reasons.

Back to the epoxy then a good clean!

Continue reading

Day Two of the Santosha Destruction/Construction Weekend

After a night of celebrating our success, the realization that we had to put all this back together set in. So after copious quantities of Advil we set to it.

The first job was to glass and epoxy the base of the post into the slot and to the keel to prevent any future moisture issues.

IMG_3490

Continue reading

Replacing the Mast Compression Post. Day One of the Construction/Destruction Weekend…

Last week I received a new 2″x 41/2″ White Oak post and a sheet of 3/4″ Marine Ply from Siewers Lumber in Richmond VA, and headed with my friend Edward down to Urbanna in the pouring rain. The first job was to remove the cabin sole from around the base of the old post to facilitate removal of the rotten one.

IMG_3428 IMG_3429

More rot, all the ply had started to delaminate and I realized that the problem had been around for longer than I had owned the boat. Continue reading

One Step Forward Two Steps Back

Every year I like to clean the cabin sole and give it a good coat of teak oil. This year I was down on my knees oiling and I noticed the floor looked a little soft…ROT!

Allied Seawinds’ have always had an issue with rot in the mast compression  post but once it’s fixed, its fixed forever. This time though the water seems to have entered around a leaky shower pan and from a couple of deck leaks around the port shrouds.IMG_3216IMG_3264

Continue reading

Propane…

I bought a new Propane Tank last year as the old one was very rusty, took a while to find one due to the fact that Allied Seawinds do not take the standard size tank, just a small 1.5lb one.

The problem is that the way the stern curves up so prettily doesn’t leave enough depth for a full size tank.

The owners group has a ton of posts on where to place a full size tank, but not crossing oceans any time soon I am fine with the mini tank, after all it just fuels the stove and lasts a season.

IMG_2335IMG_0788

Anyway I noticed this week that the new one was showing some surface rust and needed some protection.

IMG_2761IMG_2781

First job was to sand the base bright, I just used some 220 grit sandpaper that I had laying around.

Continue reading

Climbing the Mast

First let me say that this is neither an endorsement or a review, everybody has their own comfort level when it comes to going aloft. Personally I understand that I need the ability to climb the mast but I dread heights. I do own an old style wooden Bosuns’s Chair but my family does not have the power to get me up the mast nor the skills to get me down safely. Therefore I have been looking at two other interesting systems, the ATN Mast Climber and the Mast Mate. Both systems look very safe and reliable as long as you take the right precautions, climbing harness, don’t go up with out a man on deck with a safety line etc.

Rick from Middle Bay Sailing had some interesting observations about the ATN System which reminded me of my Fathers comments about the one that he owned, but never used.

Today I went down to Urbanna to do a couple of projects, neither of which involved fixing the deck light that was hanging by its wire from the port spreader. I ran in to my friend Matt down there and asked him about the Mast Mate that he owns. He promptly retrieved it and suggested that we see if the mast slides fit. Unfortunately for me they did.

IMG_2783IMG_2784

Continue reading

Deck Cleaning

Last spring when we had the boat out of the water we decided that it would be worthwhile to buff and polish the hull. It was probably the first time that it had been done in 20 or so years.

 We were not expecting much cosmetic change but we needed to arrest the typical UV damage to the chalky old hull, especially as she had spent a year or two in the Bahamas before she came to us.

IMG_0810IMG_0794

So with a cheap Black and Decker Buffer in one hand and some very expensive 3M Polishing Compound in the other I went at the Hull, finishing with a coat of Fiberglass Polish and then some Fleetwax.

As mentioned before the intention was really just to clean her up a little, but frankly the results were astounding!

IMG_3496 IMG_4682

So last weekend I decided to start on the topsides.

Continue reading

Windows….

Santosha has had issues with the fixed ports leaking, especially over the galley. I looked into getting replacements but as always on an old boat you are looking to have something made custom. My preference would be for opening ports as it gets pretty hot here during the summer, fans only do but so much, and AC on a vessel the size of ours is out of the question.

In addition to the leaks the old black sealant had started to look very messy around the aluminum frame.

Continue reading