Eventually, if the weather cooperates I will actually have some sailing content up on the site, but for now here are maintenance posts.
Since we owned Santosha, there have been these nagging little hatch leaks that have been on my to-do list and this spring with the ridiculous weather we have endured it was time to get them fixed. I was down below a few weeks back during a steady rain and they were leaking pretty badly not just from the normal spot.
Sorry for the long delay in posting, Its been a combination of the weather in Virginia (which has sucked) plus my iPhone Camera has been out of commission and I rarely ever remember to bring Jeans good camera with me.
I found out a couple of things from the rainy spring. Firstly my hatches leak more than ever and secondly the hull/deck joint which is supposed to be glassed on the inside of the Seawind II was not glassed completely.
Spring is here and I hauled the power washer down to Urbanna, She was dirty anyway but the fire left a film of dirt/soot over everything.
It never fails to amaze me how power washing jet gets way deeper than just scrubbing. I should have taken some before pics but I was too focused on getting a ton of work done in a small window. So here are a few “after Pics”
After a night of celebrating our success, the realization that we had to put all this back together set in. So after copious quantities of Advil we set to it.
The first job was to glass and epoxy the base of the post into the slot and to the keel to prevent any future moisture issues.
Every year I like to clean the cabin sole and give it a good coat of teak oil. This year I was down on my knees oiling and I noticed the floor looked a little soft…ROT!
Allied Seawinds’ have always had an issue with rot in the mast compression post but once it’s fixed, its fixed forever. This time though the water seems to have entered around a leaky shower pan and from a couple of deck leaks around the port shrouds.
I bought a new Propane Tank last year as the old one was very rusty, took a while to find one due to the fact that Allied Seawinds do not take the standard size tank, just a small 1.5lb one.
The problem is that the way the stern curves up so prettily doesn’t leave enough depth for a full size tank.
The owners group has a ton of posts on where to place a full size tank, but not crossing oceans any time soon I am fine with the mini tank, after all it just fuels the stove and lasts a season.
Anyway I noticed this week that the new one was showing some surface rust and needed some protection.
First job was to sand the base bright, I just used some 220 grit sandpaper that I had laying around.
Last spring when we had the boat out of the water we decided that it would be worthwhile to buff and polish the hull. It was probably the first time that it had been done in 20 or so years.
We were not expecting much cosmetic change but we needed to arrest the typical UV damage to the chalky old hull, especially as she had spent a year or two in the Bahamas before she came to us.
So with a cheap Black and Decker Buffer in one hand and some very expensive 3M Polishing Compound in the other I went at the Hull, finishing with a coat of Fiberglass Polish and then some Fleetwax.
As mentioned before the intention was really just to clean her up a little, but frankly the results were astounding!
So last weekend I decided to start on the topsides.