“Marlin Spike Seamanship” like electrical systems, has never clicked with me. I can do all of the important knots for sailing, Sheet Bend, Rolling Hitch, Bowline, etc. and have completed a few rough looking three strand eye splices, but the double braid stuff and the decorative wrap never seem to work out.
My Son Pearce has been nagging me to take some friends out for a sail….
Ill have a written post up soon
We had a couple of issues after we put her back in, the batteries were completely dead…
I finished up the deck painting at the marina while the batteries charged then came back on Sunday to motor her around to her slip.
I had an eventful time getting her back to the slip, I will post the full story later this week I hope. But here is a peek at Santosha in her slip, all polished and painted!
As luck would have it Petit Anti-Fouling was on sale at West Marine a few weeks back, reduced from $179 per gallon to $120! Still very pricey but I was very happy with West Marine Brand water-based that I used last time so I grabbed a gallon.
I moved the waterline up by a couple of inches as well to try to take care of the barnacles on the water line.
Hauled Santosha out of the water three weekends ago! The Weather had been awesome so I thought I would get an earlier start than in previous years.
I was glad I did as the old Doziers yard in Urbanna has been sold and the new owners were planning on re-building the lift starting in April. This gave me only three weekends to get a laundry list of projects taken care of.
On the weather front, it went from being 70 degrees the week before I took her out to being a high of 34 the week after…
After power washing I was surprised to see that the water based ablative anti fouling that I had tried held up very well over the last three years. She needed a coat but there was still a good amount on there. The bottom would have looked way better had I used her more last year. The prop was in better shape than I thought also, there were some barnacles but I was happy with the insta-galve that used last time.
The worst area on the bottom were where I had epoxied some blisters and not left the epoxy to dry long enough before anti fouling, my mistake for not reading the instructions and she peeled a little as she dried out.
We set to on the hull, compounding stains and polishing with Star Bright PTFE polish. This polish bought back a good shine and I hoping that the teflon in there will help keep the old gel coat clean. We shall see…
But the initial results look like it was a good choice. The Pictures do not do her justice.
The following weekend was mainly prepping the bottom for the anti fouling and epoxying a few small blisters. We woke up to snow on the Sunday morning so we bailed on any more work that weekend.
Ill post the “After” results next week.
I listen to a ton of podcasts, not just sailing related. Whether its in the car, on the plane, or at the Gym I normally have one playing.
I have listened to the “On the Wind” (formally 59 North) podcast for a number of years. I first found it searching for Allied Seawind information on the web, Andy Schell and his wife were ocean cruising in an Allied Mistress and blogging.
Recently he has had three guests from England on his show and they are absolutely fascinating:
Rev. Bob Shepton: Talks about climbing and northern latitude sailing
Robin Knox Johnston: Life and Sailing
Nigel Calder: Alternate Energy Systems
Check them out, he has way more including Don Street, The Pardys, and Webb Chiles. All are excellent!