Boat Cleaning Weekend!

Spring is here and I hauled the power washer down to Urbanna, She was dirty anyway but the fire left a film of dirt/soot over everything.

It never fails to amaze me how power washing jet gets way deeper than just scrubbing. I should have taken some before pics but I was too focused on getting a ton of work done in a small window. So here are a few “after Pics”

DSC01138

Continue reading

Advertisements

But Wait, Theres More!

I realize the I said that “for the most part its finished” but I still had the head door and the veneer to apply over the plywood. I figured that I could get it done in a day so of I went to Urbanna. Jean was supposed to meet me on Thursday for a sail and I wanted everything to look finished when she arrived.

First Job was to get the door installed. The trim that I removed all needed “customizing” when re installed due to slight differences between the rotted wood that was removed and the new marine ply that was installed so I knew going in that the door was unlikely to slip right in.

The one thing that i was hoping for was that I could surface mount the hinges as I had no desire to be chiseling the new Oak post, so much for hope.

IMG_3669IMG_3679

Continue reading

Construction and Clean Up!

I went down to Urbanna the other day to wrap up the construction part of the project. There are still a few bits and pieces to finish but we should be good to go sailing.

I had to leave in a hurry last time I was there as my friend who was helping had to be back in town for a family commitment so the place was a bit of a disaster area. the mini 2.5 gallon Shop Vac that I bought has been in valuable for clean up and whilst I cannot keep it on the boat due to storage issues its easy to pack into the car for transport.IMG_3576

An inspection of the shower pan showed a few voids in the ‘glass that need to be filled plus two of the corners needed building up. Also I needed to smoth out the edges for cosmetic reasons.

Back to the epoxy then a good clean!

Continue reading

Day Two of the Santosha Destruction/Construction Weekend

After a night of celebrating our success, the realization that we had to put all this back together set in. So after copious quantities of Advil we set to it.

The first job was to glass and epoxy the base of the post into the slot and to the keel to prevent any future moisture issues.

IMG_3490

Continue reading

Propane…

I bought a new Propane Tank last year as the old one was very rusty, took a while to find one due to the fact that Allied Seawinds do not take the standard size tank, just a small 1.5lb one.

The problem is that the way the stern curves up so prettily doesn’t leave enough depth for a full size tank.

The owners group has a ton of posts on where to place a full size tank, but not crossing oceans any time soon I am fine with the mini tank, after all it just fuels the stove and lasts a season.

IMG_2335IMG_0788

Anyway I noticed this week that the new one was showing some surface rust and needed some protection.

IMG_2761IMG_2781

First job was to sand the base bright, I just used some 220 grit sandpaper that I had laying around.

Continue reading