But Wait, Theres More!

I realize the I said that “for the most part its finished” but I still had the head door and the veneer to apply over the plywood. I figured that I could get it done in a day so of I went to Urbanna. Jean was supposed to meet me on Thursday for a sail and I wanted everything to look finished when she arrived.

First Job was to get the door installed. The trim that I removed all needed “customizing” when re installed due to slight differences between the rotted wood that was removed and the new marine ply that was installed so I knew going in that the door was unlikely to slip right in.

The one thing that i was hoping for was that I could surface mount the hinges as I had no desire to be chiseling the new Oak post, so much for hope.

IMG_3669IMG_3679

Continue reading

Advertisements

Construction and Clean Up!

I went down to Urbanna the other day to wrap up the construction part of the project. There are still a few bits and pieces to finish but we should be good to go sailing.

I had to leave in a hurry last time I was there as my friend who was helping had to be back in town for a family commitment so the place was a bit of a disaster area. the mini 2.5 gallon Shop Vac that I bought has been in valuable for clean up and whilst I cannot keep it on the boat due to storage issues its easy to pack into the car for transport.IMG_3576

An inspection of the shower pan showed a few voids in the ‘glass that need to be filled plus two of the corners needed building up. Also I needed to smoth out the edges for cosmetic reasons.

Back to the epoxy then a good clean!

Continue reading

Replacing the Mast Compression Post. Day One of the Construction/Destruction Weekend…

Last week I received a new 2″x 41/2″ White Oak post and a sheet of 3/4″ Marine Ply from Siewers Lumber in Richmond VA, and headed with my friend Edward down to Urbanna in the pouring rain. The first job was to remove the cabin sole from around the base of the old post to facilitate removal of the rotten one.

IMG_3428 IMG_3429

More rot, all the ply had started to delaminate and I realized that the problem had been around for longer than I had owned the boat. Continue reading

One Step Forward Two Steps Back

Every year I like to clean the cabin sole and give it a good coat of teak oil. This year I was down on my knees oiling and I noticed the floor looked a little soft…ROT!

Allied Seawinds’ have always had an issue with rot in the mast compression  post but once it’s fixed, its fixed forever. This time though the water seems to have entered around a leaky shower pan and from a couple of deck leaks around the port shrouds.IMG_3216IMG_3264

Continue reading

Climbing the Mast

First let me say that this is neither an endorsement or a review, everybody has their own comfort level when it comes to going aloft. Personally I understand that I need the ability to climb the mast but I dread heights. I do own an old style wooden Bosuns’s Chair but my family does not have the power to get me up the mast nor the skills to get me down safely. Therefore I have been looking at two other interesting systems, the ATN Mast Climber and the Mast Mate. Both systems look very safe and reliable as long as you take the right precautions, climbing harness, don’t go up with out a man on deck with a safety line etc.

Rick from Middle Bay Sailing had some interesting observations about the ATN System which reminded me of my Fathers comments about the one that he owned, but never used.

Today I went down to Urbanna to do a couple of projects, neither of which involved fixing the deck light that was hanging by its wire from the port spreader. I ran in to my friend Matt down there and asked him about the Mast Mate that he owns. He promptly retrieved it and suggested that we see if the mast slides fit. Unfortunately for me they did.

IMG_2783IMG_2784

Continue reading

Deck Cleaning

Last spring when we had the boat out of the water we decided that it would be worthwhile to buff and polish the hull. It was probably the first time that it had been done in 20 or so years.

 We were not expecting much cosmetic change but we needed to arrest the typical UV damage to the chalky old hull, especially as she had spent a year or two in the Bahamas before she came to us.

IMG_0810IMG_0794

So with a cheap Black and Decker Buffer in one hand and some very expensive 3M Polishing Compound in the other I went at the Hull, finishing with a coat of Fiberglass Polish and then some Fleetwax.

As mentioned before the intention was really just to clean her up a little, but frankly the results were astounding!

IMG_3496 IMG_4682

So last weekend I decided to start on the topsides.

Continue reading