I went down to Urbanna the other day to wrap up the construction part of the project. There are still a few bits and pieces to finish but we should be good to go sailing.
I had to leave in a hurry last time I was there as my friend who was helping had to be back in town for a family commitment so the place was a bit of a disaster area. the mini 2.5 gallon Shop Vac that I bought has been in valuable for clean up and whilst I cannot keep it on the boat due to storage issues its easy to pack into the car for transport.
An inspection of the shower pan showed a few voids in the ‘glass that need to be filled plus two of the corners needed building up. Also I needed to smoth out the edges for cosmetic reasons.
Back to the epoxy then a good clean!
After a night of celebrating our success, the realization that we had to put all this back together set in. So after copious quantities of Advil we set to it.
The first job was to glass and epoxy the base of the post into the slot and to the keel to prevent any future moisture issues.
Every year I like to clean the cabin sole and give it a good coat of teak oil. This year I was down on my knees oiling and I noticed the floor looked a little soft…ROT!
Allied Seawinds’ have always had an issue with rot in the mast compression post but once it’s fixed, its fixed forever. This time though the water seems to have entered around a leaky shower pan and from a couple of deck leaks around the port shrouds.