Back to Urbanna

After a wonderful few days in Fleets Bay it was time to roll back up the Rappahannock to the slip in Urbanna.

After taking Mojo on a quick walk and making some coffee we cast off at 730am. I wanted to get an early start as the trip would be 6 hours and we had to clean the boat and get back to Richmond for work the following day.

I was hoping to get some sailing in as we left the protection of Indian Creek.

IMG_5081

Continue reading

Fleets Bay Part 2: Chesapeake Boat Basin and Kilmarnock

After leaving Little Bay we sailed the four and a half miles North to Indian Creek and the Chesapeake Boat Basin. Its an easy run and Indian Creek is very well marked and very pretty.

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 6.11.31 AM

I stayed there before when my Dad and I sailed here. It’s a great little Marina, very dog friendly, reasonably priced, and in a great location.

Continue reading

Fleets Bay Part 1: Little Bay

Took a couple of days off last week so that we could get out on the water one last time before the kids went back to school.

The plan was to sail down to the beach at Little Bay, just north of Windmill Point and raft up for the night with our friends Daniel and Karen.Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 6.54.44 PM

Continue reading

Memorial Day Weekend

Part 2

Fishing Buddy Rob, texted me Saturday night to let me know that he was bringing his new 21′ Carolina Skiff down to Urbanna and taking the family out for trip. The ramp in Urbanna is in great shape but a little short at low water so I walked over to give him a hand launching. The tide was pretty low and we had to run the trailer off the end of the ramp to get the skiff to float off.

IMG_3791

Continue reading

Construction and Clean Up!

I went down to Urbanna the other day to wrap up the construction part of the project. There are still a few bits and pieces to finish but we should be good to go sailing.

I had to leave in a hurry last time I was there as my friend who was helping had to be back in town for a family commitment so the place was a bit of a disaster area. the mini 2.5 gallon Shop Vac that I bought has been in valuable for clean up and whilst I cannot keep it on the boat due to storage issues its easy to pack into the car for transport.IMG_3576

An inspection of the shower pan showed a few voids in the ‘glass that need to be filled plus two of the corners needed building up. Also I needed to smoth out the edges for cosmetic reasons.

Back to the epoxy then a good clean!

Continue reading

Replacing the Mast Compression Post. Day One of the Construction/Destruction Weekend…

Last week I received a new 2″x 41/2″ White Oak post and a sheet of 3/4″ Marine Ply from Siewers Lumber in Richmond VA, and headed with my friend Edward down to Urbanna in the pouring rain. The first job was to remove the cabin sole from around the base of the old post to facilitate removal of the rotten one.

IMG_3428 IMG_3429

More rot, all the ply had started to delaminate and I realized that the problem had been around for longer than I had owned the boat. Continue reading

One Step Forward Two Steps Back

Every year I like to clean the cabin sole and give it a good coat of teak oil. This year I was down on my knees oiling and I noticed the floor looked a little soft…ROT!

Allied Seawinds’ have always had an issue with rot in the mast compression  post but once it’s fixed, its fixed forever. This time though the water seems to have entered around a leaky shower pan and from a couple of deck leaks around the port shrouds.IMG_3216IMG_3264

Continue reading

Propane…

I bought a new Propane Tank last year as the old one was very rusty, took a while to find one due to the fact that Allied Seawinds do not take the standard size tank, just a small 1.5lb one.

The problem is that the way the stern curves up so prettily doesn’t leave enough depth for a full size tank.

The owners group has a ton of posts on where to place a full size tank, but not crossing oceans any time soon I am fine with the mini tank, after all it just fuels the stove and lasts a season.

IMG_2335IMG_0788

Anyway I noticed this week that the new one was showing some surface rust and needed some protection.

IMG_2761IMG_2781

First job was to sand the base bright, I just used some 220 grit sandpaper that I had laying around.

Continue reading