Dad came one for a week, helped me fix the head and change fuel filters, as well as scrape the prop. Here are the highlights:
Memorial Day Weekend
After all the work I have done in the past few months, Santosha is not close to being “Re-fit” I still have plumbing and electrical to replace, however she is very usable so we piled the kids and their friends, and the dog , and Jean and I into the car and set off Friday afternoon.
“Marlin Spike Seamanship” like electrical systems, has never clicked with me. I can do all of the important knots for sailing, Sheet Bend, Rolling Hitch, Bowline, etc. and have completed a few rough looking three strand eye splices, but the double braid stuff and the decorative wrap never seem to work out.
I had an eventful time getting her back to the slip, I will post the full story later this week I hope. But here is a peek at Santosha in her slip, all polished and painted!
As luck would have it Petit Anti-Fouling was on sale at West Marine a few weeks back, reduced from $179 per gallon to $120! Still very pricey but I was very happy with West Marine Brand water-based that I used last time so I grabbed a gallon.
I moved the waterline up by a couple of inches as well to try to take care of the barnacles on the water line.
Eventually, if the weather cooperates I will actually have some sailing content up on the site, but for now here are maintenance posts.
Since we owned Santosha, there have been these nagging little hatch leaks that have been on my to-do list and this spring with the ridiculous weather we have endured it was time to get them fixed. I was down below a few weeks back during a steady rain and they were leaking pretty badly not just from the normal spot.
Sorry for the long delay in posting, Its been a combination of the weather in Virginia (which has sucked) plus my iPhone Camera has been out of commission and I rarely ever remember to bring Jeans good camera with me.
I found out a couple of things from the rainy spring. Firstly my hatches leak more than ever and secondly the hull/deck joint which is supposed to be glassed on the inside of the Seawind II was not glassed completely.
Went down the check on Santosha this morning, no real damage, just a lot of soot and ash. but there was damage to the dock a few feet from some boats. Apparently a burning boat broke away hit our dock the went down the creek.
There was an excellent article by Larry Chowning in the Southside Sentinal last week.
Two die in massive Urbanna marina fire; 21 boats destroyed
|Above is what remains after a Monday morning fire destroyed the main boathouse of Dozier’s Port Urbanna Marina on Urbanna Creek. (Photo by T.G. McMurtrie)|
by Larry Chowning
At about 4:30 a.m. on Monday, February 29, the sky over Urbanna Creek glowed orange through rising black smoke as the main boathouse and docks of Dozier’s Port Urbanna Marina went up in flames.
Last weekend, before Hurricane Joaquin was even forecast I went down the dock to check on the boat. It had been raining on and off for a week at that point ant the winds had been consistently blowing from the north east.
I knew that the water would be up but I was surprised to see how far it had risen.