Dad came one for a week, helped me fix the head and change fuel filters, as well as scrape the prop. Here are the highlights:
Went sailing for a couple of days, was going to anchor out and enjoy the weather, instead spent my Sunday fixing this…
Sometimes owning a boat sucks.
Fresh Water Issues…
I replaced the fresh water pump last weekend, not as easy as it might seem due the boat yoga involved in getting to it but it worked well.
#TBT Replacing the Mast Compression Post. Day One of the Construction/Destruction Weekend…
Last week I received a new 2″x 41/2″ White Oak post and a sheet of 3/4″ Marine Ply from Siewers Lumber in Richmond VA, and headed with my friend Edward down to Urbanna in the pouring rain. The first job was to remove the cabin sole from around the base of the old post to facilitate removal of the rotten one.
More rot, all the ply had started to delaminate and I realized that the problem had been around for longer than I had owned the boat. Continue reading
Putting her back in.
We had a couple of issues after we put her back in, the batteries were completely dead…
I finished up the deck painting at the marina while the batteries charged then came back on Sunday to motor her around to her slip.
Quick Peek at the finished product…
I had an eventful time getting her back to the slip, I will post the full story later this week I hope. But here is a peek at Santosha in her slip, all polished and painted!
Anti-Fouling and Deck Paint
As luck would have it Petit Anti-Fouling was on sale at West Marine a few weeks back, reduced from $179 per gallon to $120! Still very pricey but I was very happy with West Marine Brand water-based that I used last time so I grabbed a gallon.
I moved the waterline up by a couple of inches as well to try to take care of the barnacles on the water line.
Eventually, if the weather cooperates I will actually have some sailing content up on the site, but for now here are maintenance posts.
Since we owned Santosha, there have been these nagging little hatch leaks that have been on my to-do list and this spring with the ridiculous weather we have endured it was time to get them fixed. I was down below a few weeks back during a steady rain and they were leaking pretty badly not just from the normal spot.
Sorry for the long delay in posting, Its been a combination of the weather in Virginia (which has sucked) plus my iPhone Camera has been out of commission and I rarely ever remember to bring Jeans good camera with me.
I found out a couple of things from the rainy spring. Firstly my hatches leak more than ever and secondly the hull/deck joint which is supposed to be glassed on the inside of the Seawind II was not glassed completely.
But Wait, Theres More!
I realize the I said that “for the most part its finished” but I still had the head door and the veneer to apply over the plywood. I figured that I could get it done in a day so of I went to Urbanna. Jean was supposed to meet me on Thursday for a sail and I wanted everything to look finished when she arrived.
First Job was to get the door installed. The trim that I removed all needed “customizing” when re installed due to slight differences between the rotted wood that was removed and the new marine ply that was installed so I knew going in that the door was unlikely to slip right in.
The one thing that i was hoping for was that I could surface mount the hinges as I had no desire to be chiseling the new Oak post, so much for hope.