Dad came one for a week, helped me fix the head and change fuel filters, as well as scrape the prop. Here are the highlights:
#TBT Repost of one of my favorite trips from a few years back! “And this is why the work is worth it….”
Memorial Day Weekend
After all the work I have done in the past few months, Santosha is not close to being “Re-fit” I still have plumbing and electrical to replace, however she is very usable so we piled the kids and their friends, and the dog , and Jean and I into the car and set off Friday afternoon.
Once we had Santosha back in the slip, I re-checked all of the fresh water pipes and through hulls. After we refilled the water tank I still could spot any leaks. I did find that my fresh water pump had blown, which kinda sucked.
So assuming that it must have been the stern gland we set out with Pearce and a couple of his friends for a quick overnight trip to the Corrotoman River a three hour sail from Urbanna.
“Marlin Spike Seamanship” like electrical systems, has never clicked with me. I can do all of the important knots for sailing, Sheet Bend, Rolling Hitch, Bowline, etc. and have completed a few rough looking three strand eye splices, but the double braid stuff and the decorative wrap never seem to work out.
Putting her back in.
We had a couple of issues after we put her back in, the batteries were completely dead…
I finished up the deck painting at the marina while the batteries charged then came back on Sunday to motor her around to her slip.
Quick Peek at the finished product…
I had an eventful time getting her back to the slip, I will post the full story later this week I hope. But here is a peek at Santosha in her slip, all polished and painted!
Anti-Fouling and Deck Paint
As luck would have it Petit Anti-Fouling was on sale at West Marine a few weeks back, reduced from $179 per gallon to $120! Still very pricey but I was very happy with West Marine Brand water-based that I used last time so I grabbed a gallon.
I moved the waterline up by a couple of inches as well to try to take care of the barnacles on the water line.
Eventually, if the weather cooperates I will actually have some sailing content up on the site, but for now here are maintenance posts.
Since we owned Santosha, there have been these nagging little hatch leaks that have been on my to-do list and this spring with the ridiculous weather we have endured it was time to get them fixed. I was down below a few weeks back during a steady rain and they were leaking pretty badly not just from the normal spot.
Boat Cleaning Weekend!
Spring is here and I hauled the power washer down to Urbanna, She was dirty anyway but the fire left a film of dirt/soot over everything.
It never fails to amaze me how power washing jet gets way deeper than just scrubbing. I should have taken some before pics but I was too focused on getting a ton of work done in a small window. So here are a few “after Pics”
Sailing/Fishing Trip, Part 2- The Piankatank to the Corrotoman
After a decent breakfast of Sausage Egg and Cheese sandwiches we hauled the muddy chain and anchor and slowly motor-sailed out of the Piankatank before the weather changed.