Dad came one for a week, helped me fix the head and change fuel filters, as well as scrape the prop. Here are the highlights:
Memorial Day Weekend
After all the work I have done in the past few months, Santosha is not close to being “Re-fit” I still have plumbing and electrical to replace, however she is very usable so we piled the kids and their friends, and the dog , and Jean and I into the car and set off Friday afternoon.
I replaced the fresh water pump last weekend, not as easy as it might seem due the boat yoga involved in getting to it but it worked well.
Once we had Santosha back in the slip, I re-checked all of the fresh water pipes and through hulls. After we refilled the water tank I still could spot any leaks. I did find that my fresh water pump had blown, which kinda sucked.
So assuming that it must have been the stern gland we set out with Pearce and a couple of his friends for a quick overnight trip to the Corrotoman River a three hour sail from Urbanna.
“Marlin Spike Seamanship” like electrical systems, has never clicked with me. I can do all of the important knots for sailing, Sheet Bend, Rolling Hitch, Bowline, etc. and have completed a few rough looking three strand eye splices, but the double braid stuff and the decorative wrap never seem to work out.
We had a couple of issues after we put her back in, the batteries were completely dead…
I finished up the deck painting at the marina while the batteries charged then came back on Sunday to motor her around to her slip.
I had an eventful time getting her back to the slip, I will post the full story later this week I hope. But here is a peek at Santosha in her slip, all polished and painted!
As luck would have it Petit Anti-Fouling was on sale at West Marine a few weeks back, reduced from $179 per gallon to $120! Still very pricey but I was very happy with West Marine Brand water-based that I used last time so I grabbed a gallon.
I moved the waterline up by a couple of inches as well to try to take care of the barnacles on the water line.
Sorry for the long delay in posting, Its been a combination of the weather in Virginia (which has sucked) plus my iPhone Camera has been out of commission and I rarely ever remember to bring Jeans good camera with me.
I found out a couple of things from the rainy spring. Firstly my hatches leak more than ever and secondly the hull/deck joint which is supposed to be glassed on the inside of the Seawind II was not glassed completely.